Sarmale

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tomorrow is my team's Christmas potluck. I'm making these and cornuletei. I made extra for to have at home. John has never had them. And--he loved them too! Yay! This is one my favorite Romanian dishes ever! You can make these with grape leaves or cabbage. I prefer cabbage, but you can buy grape leaves at the store so it's easier. Here is my recipe. This is not the only way to do this. I tweaked it for me.

Sarmale


Sautee in EVOO:
1 large chopped onion
1 grated carrot
3 grated radishes
1 finely chopped celery stalk
3 Tbs fresh dill
1 handful freshly chopped parsley
1 cup long grain rice

Mix together:
1/2 ground turkey
1/2 lean ground beef
Sautee mixture
2 eggs
2 Tbs salt
2 Tbs paprika

Roll in about 1 Tbs meat mixture in grape leaves or cabbage, tucking in the ends. Place in either a crock pot or dutch oven with 1 Tbs lemon juice. Fill dutch oven.

Mix:
1 can beer
2 cups tomato juice
1/2 cup lemon juice

Pour over grape sarmale.

If using a dutch oven, preheat oven to 350. Cover and cook for about 3-4 hours. Uncover and turn down the oven to 250. Cook for another 2 hours.

If using a slow cooker, cook on low for 8 hours.

Serve with salt, sour cream, and even a slice of bread.

Smiling Marketress Cooks Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino